You’ll go nuts for these vegan hot cinnamon and jam doughnuts!
Vegan hot cinnamon jam doughnuts
By Lucy Watson
Makes 15-18 | Prep 15mins plus fermenting and proving | Cook 15 mins | Calories 257 (per doughnut)
- 7g (¼oz) sachet of dried yeast
- 60g (2oz) golden caster sugar, plus 1 tbsp to activate the yeast
- 40g (1½oz) vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 400g (14oz) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- light olive oil, for greasing and shallow frying
- 180g (6¼oz) raspberry jam
For the cinnamon dusting:
- 200g (7oz) golden caster sugar
- 1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Put 240ml (8½fl oz) warm water in a small bowl and add the yeast and 1 tbsp sugar. Stir to mix, then leave for 5-10 minutes to activate and become frothy.
- Put the butter in a small bowl and add the vanilla. Stir well to combine. Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl and stir in the 60g (2oz) sugar. Make a well in the centre. Pour in the yeast mixture and the butter mixture, and stir well until the mixture comes together to form a dough.
- Remove from the bowl and knead the dough on a lightly floured work surface for 3-4 minutes until smooth. Clean out the bowl and lightly grease it with a little olive oil. Put the dough back in the bowl and cover with clingfilm. Put the bowl in a warm place for 1 hour or until the dough doubles in size.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface until it is 2.5cm (1in) thick. Using a 5cm (2in) plain round cookie cutter, cut out rounds and place them on the prepared tray. Leave for 15 minutes to rise.
- To make the cinnamon dusting, put the sugar in a mixing bowl and add the cinnamon. Mix well.
- Heat the oil at a depth of 5-7.5cm (2-3in) in a large saucepan or deep-fat fryer to 170°C (test by frying a small cube of bread; it should brown in about 60 seconds). Lower the dough circles five or six at a time (depending on the size of your saucepan) carefully into the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. They will puff up and turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper, then put them into the cinnamon dusting and coat well all over. Put some jam into a piping bag. Poke a hole into each doughnut using a skewer or chopstick, then pipe a little jam into each doughnut. Serve while still hot.
Feed Me Vegan by Lucy Watson, published by Sphere, is available from Amazon (RRP £16.99.)