Vegan Garlic & Herb Cashew Cream Cheese Recipe
This soft and spreadable vegan garlic and herb cashew cream cheese is filled with delicious herbs that pack a powerful flavour punch!
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Although this vegan garlic and herb cashew cheese recipe might take some time to prepare, it really couldn’t be simpler to make.
To make a vegan cashew cheese that’s creamy and spreadable, you’ll need to soak your cashews overnight (up to 24 hours) so they can blend to create a smooth texture.
Once you’ve pureed the softened cashews, simply stir in the remaining ingredients and sieve the mixture through a cheesecloth.
Next, you’ll need to leave the mixture to drain for a couple of hours to remove any excess liquid.
Then your vegan cashew cream cheese needs to set in the fridge overnight before you can tuck in and enjoy.
Total Time: 50 hours
Prep Time: 50 hours (for soaking cashews and allowing cheese to set)
Total Time: 50 hours
- 0.25 0.25 cups raw cashews, chopped in half if whole cashews (soaked overnight)
- 0.66666666666667 0.66666666666667 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 0.33333333333333 0.33333333333333 Tbsp lemon juice
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 garlic clove, minced
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 tsp lemon zest
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp water, plus water to soak the cashews
- 0.5 0.5 spring onions, diced
- 0.33333333333333 0.33333333333333 Tbsp chopped chives
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- Generous pinch of fresh ground black pepper
- Soak the cashews in water in the fridge overnight, or up to 24 hours. In the morning drain and rinse the cashews and add to a blender/ food processor with the cider vinegar, lemon juice and water, blend until smooth as possible adding up to another 2 tbsp of water if necessary.
- Transfer the cashew purée to a mixing bowl and fold in the remaining ingredients.
- Line a small 6″ sieve with cheesecloth and place the sieve over a bowl.
- Add in the cashew mixture, smooth out the top and carefully fold over the sides of the cheesecloth.
- Leave on the side for about two hours and discard the liquid that has drained out into the bowl.
- Place in the fridge overnight to allow even more water to drain and the cream cheese to firm up.
- After allowing to sit overnight, carefully unfold the cheesecloth and turn the cashew cream cheese dome out onto a plate. Serve with crackers or crostini.
Want to try your hand at making more vegan cheese varieties?
Here are our favourite vegan cheese recipes!