Vegan & Gluten Free Blackberry Coconut Bars
The hedgerows are brimming with blackberries so make the most of them while they last with these healthy vegan blackberry coconut bars.
These healthy vegan desserts are made from two of nature’s favourites -blackberries and Caribbean coconut. The creamy topping sits on top of a crisp, nutty hazlenut base making them entirely gluten-free as well as dairy-free.
These vegan gluten free bars are full of natural flavours, making them heavenly to eat. Not only that, but they are also full of vitamin C and healthy oils.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
These vegan and gluten-free blackberry coconut bars are perfect for a healthy vegan dessert or even a quick vegan and gluten-free snack.
The blackberry coconut bars are satisfying on the palate with their berry and creamy coconut flavour but also nutritious.
The natural fruit in the bars is delightful and the flavour changes depending on the fruit you have so you can enjoy these all year round.
You can substitute for other soft fruit like raspberries and make different combinations. The combination of berries and creamy coconut makes for a heavenly vegan sweet treat no matter which berries you choose to use!
As well as being delicious, these vegan and gluten-free bars contain plenty of vitamins, minerals and healthy oils. Both hazelnuts and almonds are packed with nutrients, including vitamins and minerals and healthy fats.
Once they are chilled, grate anti-inflammatory cacao nibs over them for extra texture.
They are best kept refrigerated in an airtight container.
Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
Prep Time: 3 hours 15 minutes (3 hours freezing time)
Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- For the base:
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp melted cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil, plus 1 tbsp for brushing
- 7.8125 7.8125 g raw coconut flour
- 2.5 2.5 g ground almonds
- 3.125 3.125 g raw hazelnuts, chopped
- 1.875 1.875 g raw almonds, chopped
- 0.0625 0.0625 Tbsp raw sugar
- 0.1875 0.1875 Tbsp maple syrup
- For the topping:
- 10.9375 10.9375 g blackberries
- 9.375 9.375 g strawberries
- 4.6875 4.6875 g raw coconut flour
- 0.0625 0.0625 lemon (juice of)
- 6.25 6.25 ml raw coconut milk
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp raw creamed coconut
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp melted cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp maple syrup
- 0.125 0.125 Tbsp cacao nibs
- Brush a 20-cm/8-inch tin with coconut oil and line it with baking paper. Set aside.
- To make the base, combine the coconut flour, ground almonds, nuts and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Gently warm the coconut oil with the maple syrup on the lowest setting in the microwave for 1 minute, or in a small pan over gentle heat. Stir the melted ingredients into the dry ones.
- Press the mixture into the base of the prepared tin. Chill in the fridge for an hour, or until the mixture has hardened.
- Meanwhile, make the topping. Blend the blackberries and strawberries in a blender, then blend in the coconut flour, lemon juice and coconut milk.
- Gently warm the creamed coconut with the coconut oil and maple syrup, and combine well. Add to the ingredients in the blender and blend everything for a few seconds.
- When the base has chilled, spoon the blackberry mixture evenly over the top. Cover and chill again for about 2 hours. The topping will not be very firm but should be firm enough to cut.
Looking for more vegan and gluten-free dessert recipes?
Check out our ultimate guide to vegan and gluten-free baking!