Blueberry Polenta Cake
This vegan blueberry polenta cake is heavenly with a cup of tea. The grated apple makes this gluten-free vegan cake recipe moist and so moreish it will become a firm favourite.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
The combination of blueberry and apple are insanely delicious together, and the polenta gives this gluten-free vegan cake the wonderful texture that polenta brings when baked.
Polenta is ground corn and a magnificent alternative to flour, especially for those on a gluten-free diet. Polenta originates from Northern Italy and is used in savoury or sweet dishes.
Our polenta cake recipe uses rapeseed oil, and it’s best to choose an oil that is light in flavour so as not to compromise the flavours of the cake.
If you want to use another fruit instead of blueberries, you could substitute the blueberries for blackberries or raspberries. It would be best to keep the grated apple in this cake recipe as it does add to the moistness of the cake.
A moist cake makes for a winning cake recipe in our books, and our gluten-free, vegan blueberry polenta cake is exceptional.
Total Time: 55 mins
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30-35 mins
Total Time: 55 mins
- vegan and gluten-free margarine, for greasing
- 31.25 31.25 grams quick-cook polenta
- 0.375 0.375 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 0.125 0.125 tsp xanthan gum
- vegan and gluten-free egg replacer, equivalent to 3 eggs
- 21.875 21.875 grams golden caster sugar
- 15.625 15.625 ml rapeseed oil
- 0.125 0.125 zest of unwaxed lemon
- 0.125 0.125 unwaxed apple
- 15.625 15.625 grams blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 20-cm/8-inch round, loose-based cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Put the polenta, baking powder and xanthan gum into a large mixing bowl and mix together thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Make up the egg replacer in a small bowl according to the packet instructions and beat it with a fork for a minute until bubbly. Put the sugar and oil into a separate mixing bowl and beat them together with a fork. Gradually add the egg replacer and lemon zest and continue to beat until the ingredients are well combined.
- Peel, core and grate the apple and mix into the wet ingredients with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the wet ingredients onto the polenta mixture and stir well with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle the blueberries on top of the cake and gently press them onto the surface of the mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35–40 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Allow the cake to cool completely before removing from the tin.
Are you a gluten-free baker?
To make it easier for you to find delicious gluten-free vegan bakes, we’ve rounded up our favourite vegan and gluten-free baking for you to try.