This delicious dish consists of breaded cauliflower with sticky sweet and spicy sauce served with rice and broccoli – a perfect alternative to your Friday night takeaway!
General Tso’s cauliflower
Serves: 2 | Prep time: Cook time: Total time:
Recipe by Zhoro Apostolov (www.topfoodfacts.com)
- 1 small head cauliflower
- ½ cup (65g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (120ml) water
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp finely chopped garlic
- ½ cup (25g) breadcrumbs
For the sauce:
- 6 Tbsp soy sauce
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 4 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp chilli paste
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- A few dried chilli peppers (to taste)
To sprinkle the dish on top:
- Fresh spring onion
- Black sesame seeds
For the garnish:
- 200g cooked white rice
- 200g cooked broccoli
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Break the cauliflower head into wing-size pieces.
- Mix the dry ingredients together, except the breadcrumbs, and add the water. Mix together to combine until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Start by dipping the cauliflower into the flour mixture and then roll them into the breadcrumbs so they are evenly coated.
- Bake in the oven on a lined baking tray for about 20 minutes.
- Make the sauce by mixing all the ingredients and cook it for 1 minute in a hot saucepan until it gets thick.
- Take the cauliflower bites out and toss them into a bowl with the sauce to cover.
- Return the bites to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes until the sauce becomes nice and sticky.
- Serve with cooked white rice and sauteed broccoli, seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the dish with black sesame seeds and spring onion.