Easy Vegan Tofu Kebab Recipe
These tofu kebabs are such a simple meal to make for your next vegan BBQ when the sun is shining.
It’s an easy vegan recipe that can be prepared in advance and cooked in 10 minutes leaving you with more time to relax in the sunshine. The barbecue marinade is quick and simple and it gives the tofu kebabs lots of flavour!
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
To make these vegan tofu kebabs, you’ll start by making the tofu marinade by adding the ingredients to a saucepan and allowing it to simmer until thick and saucy.
It’s sweet, tangy, sticky and with a little kick of spice, just like a good marinade should be!
Next, place the ingredients for your vegan kebabs in a dish and cover them with the marinade sauce, ensuring they’re evenly coated. You’ll need to wait at least two hours to allow the tofu and veggies to absorb all the delicious flavours of the sauce.
Then you’ll assemble your vegan kebabs by alternating tofu, peppers and mushrooms on a skewer.
If you have any leftovers, the vegan barbecue tofu is delicious tossed through a salad or in a wrap with some more veggies.
This easy vegan recipe is perfect for anyone who wants to prepare the tofu beforehand. You can let the tofu marinate overnight and grill them the next day before serving them up at your BBQ.
Remember that if you are using wooden kebab skewers to soak them beforehand.
Tofu is an excellent source of protein. As tofu is a complete protein, meaning it contains all 9 of the essential amino acids. It is one of the best vegan protein sources that you can have.
However, tofu is well known for having a high water content, so you will get the best consistency when the water is pressed out of the tofu before you marinate it. To do this, you can use a tofu press or two plates and squeeze evenly and slowly, being careful not to squeeze it too hard that it cracks. Some tofu also releases more liquid when frozen beforehand. You will find that these techniques make the tofu firmer and crisper.
As tofu is great for absorbing flavour, marinating tofu is a good way to cook it, and this vegan barbecue tofu kebab recipe is certainly a great way to eat tofu.
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes (plus 2 hours marinading time)
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- For the tofu kebabs:
- 66.666666666667 66.666666666667 grams firm tofu
- 0.5 0.5 red onions, quartered
- 2 2 button mushrooms
- For the marinade:
- 41.666666666667 41.666666666667 ml passata
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 0.33333333333333 0.33333333333333 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 0.33333333333333 0.33333333333333 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 0.041666666666667 0.041666666666667 tsp salt
- 0.041666666666667 0.041666666666667 tsp chilli powder
- 0.041666666666667 0.041666666666667 tsp smoked paprika
- To make the barbecue marinade, combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan, stir and place over a low heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain the tofu and press it with kitchen paper to remove any excess water. Cut it into nine squares, and then cut each square in half to make 18 pieces.
- Arrange the tofu pieces, onion pieces and mushrooms in a large baking dish and pour over the warm marinade. Stir the mixture carefully to ensure that everything is well coated, but take care not to break the tofu. Cover and leave to cool. The mixture can then be refrigerated until needed. Allow the tofu and vegetables to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the grill to high. If you are using wooden skewers, pre-soak them in water for 10 minutes before making up the kebabs. Thread two mushrooms, two pieces of onion and three pieces of tofu onto six pre-soaked wooden skewers. Baste with the remaining sauce and place under the preheated grill or on a barbecue, turning occasionally, until well browned and sizzling. Serve immediately.
Bored of bangers and burgers or just want to try something new?
Enjoy a sizzling summer with these epic vegan BBQ recipes!