Chocolate Fudge Easter Cake
This seriously chocolatey cake means business! This rich vegan chocolate fudge cake is smothered in a silky chocolate ganache frosting and topped with a crunchy ‘nest’ filled with marzipan eggs for a decadent Easter dessert.
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 0.1875 0.1875 cooked beetroot
- 46.875 46.875 ml unsweetened almond milk
- 0.09375 0.09375 Tbsp cream of tartar
- 28.125 28.125 g unrefined light brown sugar
- 3.125 3.125 g melted coconut oil
- 0.09375 0.09375 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 16.875 16.875 g plain flour
- 3.125 3.125 g ground almonds
- 11.25 11.25 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 0.1875 0.1875 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 0.09375 0.09375 tsp baking powder
- 0.0625 0.0625 tsp chilli powder
- a pinch of salt
- For the frosting:
- 0.25 0.25 super-ripe avocados
- 5.625 5.625 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 15 15 g maple syrup
- 0.1875 0.1875 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 0.0625 0.0625 tsp vanilla extract
- 0.09375 0.09375 tsp salt
- double shot of coffee
- To decorate:
- 6.25 6.25 g vegan dark chocolate
- 0.375 0.375 Shredded Wheat
- 6.25 6.25 g vegan chocolate sprinkles
- 12.5 12.5 g vegan marzipan
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line five 20cm (8in) round cake tins.
- Make a vegan buttermilk by adding cream of tartar to almond milk and leave to curdle while you get on with the next few steps.
- Blitz the ground almonds, flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, chilli powder and salt until fine, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Blitz the beetroot to a purée and add the sugar, melted coconut oil, vanilla and ‘buttermilk’.
- Pour into the dry mix and, when combined, pour into the lined and greased tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes. When poked, the skewer should come out clean. Leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate over a bain-marie.
- In a large bowl, crumble the Shredded Wheat and mix in the melted chocolate. Grease one of your cake tins again and line with your chocolate nest mixture.
- Blitz all the frosting ingredients until completely incorporated and then spread between each cake layer, stack and then cover the outside of the cake. You should have enough to cover.
- Cut the marzipan into 25g (1oz) pieces and roll into a ball before giving an egg-like point. Decorate with a sprinkle base, a nest and egg topping or stuff immediately in your face. It’s all five of your five a day if you eat the whole thing (well, almost!)