Vegan Crispy Tofu Nuggets Recipe
Who says tofu is bland and boring? Not us, that’s for sure! These tofu nuggets are crispy and golden brown on the outside with creamy, melt-in-your-mouth tofu on the inside.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
These golden nuggets are delicious and so versatile that they can be used in a huge range of recipes, from a crunchy addition to a salad, a tasty protein boost in a wrap or as an anti-pasta starter.
You can follow the basic premise of this recipe, but feel free to play around with the seasoning to suit the style of dish. If you want to push the boat out, simply add cumin and turmeric to give it a curry twist or chilli flakes to give it some heat.
To get your tofu extra crispy, we recommend using Tofuture’s super handy tofu press that will help you cook perfect tofu every time!
Total Time: 50 minutes
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 1 400g block tofu
- 1 1 cup soya or almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 3 Tbsp cornflour
- 1 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 1 tsp onion granules
- 2 2 tsp celery salt
- 2 2 tsp paprika
- 1 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1 tsp salt
- 1 1 Tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil, enough to shallow fry
- 0.5 0.5 cup breadcrumbs
- Cut the well pressed tofu into strips, 5 cm by 1 cm, or cut into small, regular cubes if you are going to add it to a salad. Put the strips or cubes into a flat bottomed dish.
- Whisk together the milk and nutritional yeast and pour over the tofu piece. Cover and leave for about 30 minutes to allow the tofu to absorb the milk.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a separate, flat-bottomed dish; cornflour, ground coriander, celery salt, breadcrumbs, garlic granules, onion granules, paprika, ground black pepper and salt. If you like it spicy you can add some dried chilli flakes or cayenne pepper.
- Once the tofu has soaked for at least 30 minutes, drain it, and add the tofu to the flour mixture and toss it so that all the tofu is completely coated.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry for 5-6 minutes on the first side, flip and fry for a further 3-4 minutes on the second side until both sides are crispy and golden brown. Remove from the pan with tongs, drain on a piece of kitchen paper and serve immediately.
These nuggets also work really well deep-fried. Alternatively, if you want to use less oil, spray a baking tray with olive oil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 deg for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.