Creamy Gnocchi, Leek and Butternut Squash Bake
What could be more comforting than this rich and creamy vegan gnocchi and butternut squash bake with leeks? Soft, pillowy gnocchi is the ultimate comfort food cooked in a creamy sauce, while the leeks and squash pack this recipe full of nutrients.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Famously associated with Welsh Saint David, the leek has been cultivated and used for cooking for more than 3,000 years. During the Middle Ages, it was the original health food, high in fibre, good for purging the blood, keeping colds at bay, healing wounds and alleviating the pains of childbirth.
Leeks are one of the few indigenous British vegetables that are ‘in season’ throughout the Autumn and Winter months. They are also great for our health, a natural pre-biotic they feed the healthy bacteria in your gut, while also being a natural antioxidant and a good source of folate and Vitamin B.
In partnership with British Leeks, vegan food blogger Lucy Parker @lucy_and_lentils, has created this creamy gnocchi, leek and butternut squash bake to celebrate leeks, which are in season throughout the Autumn and Winter months in the UK. Enjoy!
Total Time: 50 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 225 225 g gnocchi
- 0.25 0.25 tsp dijon mustard
- 0.5 0.5 tsp garlic powder
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp plain flour
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp vegan butter, heaped
- A pinch of vegan parmesan
- For roasting:
- 0.5 0.5 leek, diced
- 0.25 0.25 butternut squash, diced
- 1.5 1.5 fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to season
- 1 1 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- 0.5 0.5 tsp fried parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Chop the butternut and leek into 3cm thick pieces, add to a roasting tray with the olive oil, chopped sage leaves, salt and pepper. Toss together then roast for 35 minutes.
- Prep the gnocchi by adding to a pot of boiling salted water and boil for 3 minutes or until the gnocchi floats to the surface.
- Drain off the gnocchi leaving a ladleful of water in the pot (around 250ml) and put the cooked gnocchi in a bowl to the side.
- Add the butter, dijon mustard, garlic powder and flour to the pot of gnocchi water and whisk together until smooth. Then add the gnocchi back in and stir in the sauce.
- Once the leek and butternut is baked add the pot of gnocchi and sauce to the baking dish, stir together. Generously season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the sunflower seeds and dried parsley then return to the oven for around 10 minutes to finish baking.
Stir just before serving and garnish with more cracked black pepper. If you like, add a sprinkling of parmesan (dairy or vegan) to each bowl, to finish.
Looking for more tasty vegan dinner recipes to make this week?
We can’t get enough of this Chickpea, Spinach and Peanut Butter Curry!