Creamy Vegan Garlic Mushrooms with Griddled Polenta
Crisp, griddled polenta makes the perfect partner to these decadently creamy vegan garlic mushrooms
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
These creamy vegan garlic mushrooms are a delicious treat, and so easy to make.
With crisp slices of grilled polenta, this tasty dish makes a perfect starter or light meal.
This recipe uses ready-made polenta to keep preparation time to a minimum, but you could always make your own griddled polenta if you want to really push the boat out!
Which mushrooms should I use?
Even basic white mushrooms will taste great in this recipe, but you’ll get a deeper, more earthy flavour if you use a good mix of mushrooms. You may be able to buy a pack of mixed mushrooms, otherwise just pick up a few different kinds and mix them together yourself.
You can choose any mushrooms you like for these vegan garlic mushrooms, but some of our favourites include chestnut mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, porcini mushrooms.
You could even opt for a mix of dried mushrooms if necessary. However, these will need to be well-soaked before you make this recipe, and are likely to leave your dish with a chewier texture overall.
Why griddle the polenta?
Griddling the polenta gives it a satisfying crispy outside, which contrasts perfectly with the creamy mushrooms. Straight from the packet, the ready-to-eat polenta would taste just fine, but the overall texture of this dish would be a little mushy!
If you use a ridged griddle pan, and preheat it so that it’s nice and hot, you’ll get attractive griddle lines on your polenta which will make your meal look really impressive. Perfect if you’re serving this at a dinner party!
You’ll still get great results when using a flat griddle or frying pan. Alternatively you could even crisp up your polenta in an airfryer or under a flame grill, if you have one.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp vegetable oil
- 11.25 11.25 g dairy-free butter
- 0.25 0.25 white onion, finely diced
- 1.25 1.25 cloves garlic, puréed
- 112.5 112.5 g mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 0.25 0.25 tsp dried chives
- 11.25 11.25 g plain flour
- 60 60 ml vegetable stock
- 30 30 ml soya milk
- 0.25 0.25 x 500g block ready-made polenta, sliced
- Add the oil and butter to a sauté pan over a medium heat, then add the onion, garlic, mushrooms and chives and cook for 5-6 minutes until the mushrooms and onion have softened.
- Add in the flour and mix well, cook for 3-4 minutes until the flour has cooked out and the mixture is thick. Slowly add the vegetable stock and milk whilst stirring until a smooth creamy sauce is formed, season to taste.
- Heat a griddle pan or frying pan over a high heat, then cook the polenta for 3-4 minutes on each side until crisp. Top with the creamy garlic mushrooms.
Nutritional information per serving (327g): Calories 270, Fat 13g, Saturates 2g, Carbohydrate 35g, Sugars 3.6g, Fibre 4g, Protein 8.5g, Salt 3g
Savour more mighty mushrooms with this Vegan Mushroom Reuben Sandwich.