Creamy Vegan Coconut, Kale, Spinach and Chickpea Curry
Warm up with this creamy vegan coconut chickpea curry with added spinach and kale to give it a healthy boost of veg.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Need a delicious, warming dinner that you can throw together in just 30 minutes? We’ve got it covered.
This creamy curry is literally packed full of goodness. Chickpeas are a brilliant (and cheap!) source of protein, cashews are a healthy source of fat and spinach and kale are two of the most nutritious vegetables on the planet.
The spices in this dish, which include turmeric and cumin, have anti-inflammatory properties, whilst ginger is good for the gut. Garlic is also beneficial in supporting a healthy immune system.
What can you serve with curry?
• Rice – choose brown for added nutrients and fibre.
• Naan bread – many shop-bought naan breads contain cow’s milk, so look for brands like The Clay Oven Bakery or try making your own vegan naan bread using dairy-free yoghurt.
• Chapati – these flatbreads sometimes contain ghee or cow’s milk powder, so check the ingredients list when buying.
• Chutney – mango chutney is vegan-friendly, or why not try making your own coconut chutney?
• Onion bhajis – made from onions and gram flour, many supermarket onion bhajis are accidentally vegan, but check the ingredients list as some may contain egg or cow’s milk.
Tip: Store kale and spinach in the freezer to prevent it wilting. Whenever you’re in need of a quick dinner like this one, simply grab a handful of the frozen veg and throw it in!
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp oil
- 0.25 0.25 tsp cumin seeds
- 0.25 0.25 onion
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 0.25 0.25 clove garlic, puréed
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp tomato purée
- 18.75 18.75 g cashews
- 30 30 ml vegetable stock
- 100 100 ml coconut milk
- 25 25 g kale, chopped
- 25 25 g fresh spinach
- 0.5 0.5 tins of chickpeas, drained
- Add the oil to a saucepan over a medium heat, then add the cumin seeds, onion, ginger and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add the garam masala and turmeric and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Next add the tomato purée, cashews, vegetable stock and coconut milk and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, add the kale and spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes until the kale is cooked.
- Then transfer the contents of the pan to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Once the mixture is fully blended, transfer it back to the saucepan and add the chickpeas.
- Cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Serve over freshly made rice, or with vegan naan bread, and enjoy!
Each 212g serving provides: 20g Fat, 11g Saturates, 32g Carbohydrate, 5.8g Sugars, 8g Fibre, 12g Protein, 1.3g Salt.
Fancy another serving? Discover our very best vegan curry recipes!