by CHLOE’s Recipe for Vegan Mac ’N’ Cheese with Shiitake Bacon
In celebration of National Vegetarian Week, plant-based eatery by CHLOE are sharing the recipe for their famous deliciously oozy vegan Mac ‘N’ Cheese with crispy shiitake bacon recipe with you!
- For the pasta:
- 113.75 113.75 g shell pasta
- 0.75 0.75 Tbsp safflower oil (or other cold pressed vegetable oil)
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp vegan margarine
- For the sweet potato sauce:
- 113.75 113.75 g roasted sweet potato, peeled and mashed slightly
- 37.5 37.5 g raw cashews
- 175 175 ml water
- 0.5 0.5 tsp sea salt
- 0.25 0.25 clove garlic, minced
- 0.25 0.25 tsp mustard seed
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 0.0625 0.0625 tsp cayenne pepper
- For the shiitake bacon:
- 113.75 113.75 g shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 15 15 ml safflower oil (or other cold pressed vegetable oil)
- 0.3125 0.3125 tsp fine sea salt
- Roast sweet potatoes.
- Peel and slightly mash sweet potatoes.
- Mince garlic.
- Stem and slice shiitake mushrooms.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F.
To make the pasta:
- In a large pot, bring 6 quarts of water up to a full boil.
- Add ¼ cup sea salt. Cook pasta according to directions on the packaging, removing 1 minute early.
- Drain and rinse pasta in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Add safflower oil and toss to coat.
To make the sweet potato sauce:
- Add roasted, peeled and mashed sweet potatoes, raw cashews, water, sea salt, minced garlic, mustard seed, light brown sugar and cayenne pepper to a high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth, about 7-9 minutes, at the highest speed.
To make the shiitake bacon:
- In a large bowl, toss sliced mushrooms with safflower oil, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper. Allow to marinate 30 minutes before cooking.
- Layout shiitake mushrooms in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, until the steam disappears and the shiitakes are evenly browned.
- When ready, transfer to a paper towel lined dish to drain. The mushrooms will crisp as they cool.
- Place the shell pasta in a pot with 1/4 cup of water, per cup of pasta. Bring to the boil to re-heat pasta.
- Add 1/3 cup of sweet potato sauce per cup of pasta and 1/2 tablespoon of vegan margarine per cup of pasta.
- Allow all to cook together and simmer until sauce has thickened and enrobes the pasta.
Notes + Serving
Serve topped with smoked paprika, Shiitake Bacon and by Chloe’s famous Almond Parm.