Butterbean, Sweet Potato & Spinach Coconut Curry
Banish those curry house cravings with this nutritious veg packed butterbean and sweet potato curry with a flavour punch that's ready in just 15 minutes.
This deliciously fragrant and quickly achievable 15-minute vegan curry recipe was created by Grace Regan, founder of SpiceBox - the UK’s first plant-based curry house based in Walthamstow.
- 0.5 0.5 medium sweet potato, microwaved
- 1.5 1.5 Tbsp veg oil
- 0.5 0.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 0.5 0.5 tsp mustard seeds
- 1.5 1.5 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 1 bay leaves
- 0.5 0.5 white onion, peeled and sliced into half moons
- 0.5 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 0.5 tsp sugar
- 0.5 0.5 green chilli, slit lengthways
- 2 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
- thumb of ginger, grated
- 0.25 0.25 tsp turmeric
- 0.5 0.5 tin butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 0.5 0.5 400g tin of coconut milk
- 1 1 large handfuls of spinach
- 0.125 0.125 lemon, juiced
- Start by cooking your sweet potato in the microwave. Pierce it all over with a fork and place it in the microwave at full power for 5 minutes or until soft all the way through. If you don’t have a microwave, you can dice it, drizzle it with oil and some salt and roast it in an oven set at 180°c for 25 mins.
- While the potato is cooking, heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the cumin and mustard seeds, cardamom and bay leaves. Fry until the seeds begin to pop.
- Add onion, salt and sugar and fry on a gentle heat until it’s soft and caramelised. Once the onion starts to soften, add the chilli, ginger and garlic and cook out with the onion for 10 minutes.
- By now your sweet potato should be cooked. When it’s cool enough to handle, roughly dice it into 1 inch chunks. Add it to the frying pan along with the turmeric and beans. Give everything a good stir and then add the coconut milk. Turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes then stir through the spinach and lemon juice. Take the pan off the heat and taste for seasoning.
This article contains affiliate links.