Spice up your taco Tuesday with these tasty meat-free vegan taco recipes the whole family will enjoy.
Craving tacos for dinner? Vegan tacos are a healthy and versatile meal that’s easy to make for dinner or a snack. Find out what you need to make your own meat-free tacos here.
What are vegan tacos made of?
Whether you prefer a soft taco or a crunchy shell, one thing’s for sure – few people can resist a good taco!
Tacos are a traditional Mexican street food dish consisting of a hand-sized flour tortilla or corn ‘shell’ topped with a filling such as meats, beans, vegetables, and cheese. Unlike fajitas, which contain strips of meat and are rolled into a tortilla, tacos are simply folded in half and eaten by hand.
In general, a vegan taco is typically made from the following elements:
- Shell – The most important part of the taco is the shell which holds in all the tasty fillings. You can opt for soft tacos made using flour tortillas, or hard taco shells made from corn. Vegan-friendly corn tortillas are easy to find with brands such as Old El Paso readily available at supermarkets. Be sure to double-check the label as sometimes tortillas can contain non-vegan additives such as whey or animal-derived glycerin.
- Filling – The options are endless when it comes to filling your taco! Vegans can substitute meat substitute for high-protein options such as beans or tofu, or opt for vegetables and meat replacements.
- Salsa – Salas is essential to add freshness and bring the flavours in your taco together. The classic pico de gallo is most often used as it pairs well with a variety of fillings.
- Garnish & Sauces – Sauces add the final flourish, with cooling sour cream often added to help balance the spices in tacos. Add a sprinkling of dairy-free cheese, a dollop of guacamole and a squeeze of lime and your vegan tacos are ready to enjoy.
Meat-free fillings to use in your vegan taco recipes
What is vegan taco meat made of we hear you cry! When it comes to vegan meat replacements for tacos there are dozens of options to choose from. As a result, there’s something to please everyone from those who prefer beans to those who enjoy meat alternatives.
- Beans – This vegan staple is definitely not overdone. Mix things up by using different kinds such as black, kidney, cannellini and even lentils.
- Vegan mince – There are now multiple vegan mince options on the market, using protein sources like soy, pea and wheat. This means that the days of TVP are now long gone!
- Jackfruit – This Caribbean fruit has taken off as a vegan meat replacement in the past year. Perfect for replicating pulled pork, jackfruit is great with a hefty dollop of BBQ sauce.
- Tofu – The vegan holy grail. Tofu is totally versatile and great for either a breakfast-style taco or crumbled to resemble ground beef.
- Veggies – Sometimes just some great veggies is all you need in a taco! We love frying mushrooms, peppers and onions for a great taco filling.
Now you’ve chosen your favourite filling and taco shell options, let’s get started making some tasty vegan taco recipes!
The best vegan taco recipes to make for dinner
The Crunchwrap Supreme is a notorious menu item at Taco Bell and packs everything you could ever want into a crunchy taco. This vegan version uses lentil taco ‘meat’, dairy-free nacho cheese and vegan sour cream as well as crunchy salad veggies to create a taste sensation.
Who would have thought cauliflower could become meat? This unconventional vegan taco recipe uses blitzed cauliflower and walnuts which is then baked in the oven to replicate ground ‘beef’. Once cooked, you can then loaded up your tacos with homemade cilantro avocado cream for a satisfying meal.
Watch out to make these vegan cauliflower taco meat recipe here:
Cauliflower doesn’t just make a great alternative to meat, you can even use it to make cheesecake! Find the recipe here.
This healthy meat-free taco recipe skips the mock meats and focuses on great veggies instead. Roasted vegetables are paired with smashed spiced black beans and topped with fresh salsa and avocado. Delicious!
Watch how to make these vegetable tacos here:
Who doesn’t love a great brunch? These easy breakfast tacos make the perfect start to the day, stuffed with protein-packed tofu scramble, roasted spiced potatoes, fresh veggies and vegan sour cream.
These zingy tacos champion the humble cauliflower in all its glory. Cauliflower florets are coated in a crispy batter and baked in the oven, before serving up with fresh salad, lime mayo dressing and sesame seeds.
Vegan fish? Easy! This recipe uses marinated banana blossom to create Mexican Baja inspired tacos. With a crispy batter, sharp pickled red onions and fresh chillis, this recipe will soon be a weeknight favourite.
Has Seaspiracy made you quit eating fish? Here are our favourite vegan fish recipes.
Tofu is such a versatile protein source, and we love using it in everything from stir-fries to scrambles. In this Mexican-inspired recipe, tofu is pulsed with walnuts and plenty of seasoning to create vegan taco meat.
These stuffed tacos are definitely a bit unconventional. To make this vegan taco recipe, sweet peppers are stuffed with marinated jackfruit and then fried in a crispy Mexican beer batter. Serve your battered jackfruit peppers in soft tortillas with hot sauce, pickled red onions and fried plantain. Delicious!
Watch how to make this vegan taco recipe here:
Peanut butter and cauliflower? Trust us, it works! This vegan taco recipe involves marinating cauliflower florets before baking them in the oven. Next, you will assemble your tacos with fresh crunchy veggies and crushed peanuts followed by a squeeze of lime.
Loved these vegan taco recipes but fancy making something simpler for dinner?
Try these quick and easy vegan one-pot recipes!