Spice up your taco Tuesday with these tasty and easy vegan tacos the whole family will enjoy.
Craving tacos for dinner? Vegan tacos are a healthy and versatile meal that’s easy to make for dinner or a snack. Find out what you need to make the best vegan tacos you’ll ever eat here.
What are vegan tacos made of?
Whether you prefer a soft taco or a crunchy shell, one thing’s for sure – few people can resist a good taco!
Tacos are a traditional Mexican street food dish consisting of a hand-sized flour tortilla or corn ‘shell’ topped with a filling such as meats, beans, vegetables, and cheese. Unlike fajitas, which contain strips of meat and are rolled into a tortilla, tacos are simply folded in half and eaten by hand.
In general, vegan tacos are typically made from the following elements:
- Shell – The most important part of the taco is the shell which holds in all the tasty fillings. You can opt for soft tacos made using flour tortillas, or hard taco shells made from corn. Vegan-friendly corn tortillas are easy to find with brands such as Old El Paso readily available at supermarkets. Be sure to double-check the label as sometimes tortillas can contain non-vegan additives such as whey or animal-derived glycerin.
- Filling – The options are endless when it comes to filling your taco! Vegans can substitute meat substitute for high-protein options such as beans or tofu, or opt for vegetables and meat replacements.
- Salsa – Salas is essential to add freshness and bring the flavours in your taco together. The classic pico de gallo is most often used as it pairs well with a variety of fillings.
- Garnish & Sauces – Sauces add the final flourish, with cooling sour cream often added to help balance the spices in tacos. Add a sprinkling of dairy-free cheese, a dollop of guacamole and a squeeze of lime and your vegan tacos are ready to enjoy.
Meat-free fillings to use in your vegan taco recipes
What is vegan taco meat made of we hear you cry! When it comes to vegan meat replacements for tacos there are dozens of options to choose from. As a result, there’s something to please everyone from those who prefer beans to those who enjoy meat alternatives.
- Beans – This vegan staple is definitely not overdone. Mix things up by using different kinds such as black, kidney, cannellini and even lentils.
- Vegan mince – There are now multiple vegan mince options on the market, using protein sources like soy, pea and wheat. This means that the days of TVP are now long gone!
- Jackfruit – This Caribbean fruit has taken off as a vegan meat replacement in the past year. Perfect for replicating pulled pork, jackfruit is great with a hefty dollop of BBQ sauce.
- Tofu – The vegan holy grail. Tofu is totally versatile and great for either a breakfast-style taco or crumbled to resemble ground beef.
- Veggies – Sometimes just some great veggies is all you need in a taco! We love frying mushrooms, peppers and onions for a great taco filling.
Now you’ve chosen your favourite filling and taco shell options, let’s get started making some tasty vegan taco recipes!
These zingy tacos champion the humble cauliflower in all its glory. Cauliflower florets are coated in a crispy batter and baked in the oven, before serving up with fresh salad, lime mayo dressing and sesame seeds.
Looking for the perfect meaty vegan taco recipe for Taco Tuesday? You’ve found it right here with these epic curried jackfruit tacos with a cooling dip!
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
While jackfruit is great for recreating the taste and texture of pulled pork, we love to use mushrooms to mimic it too. They’re packed with vitamin D and are ideal to use as a meaty element in vegan tacos.
Tempeh gives these meat-free tacos a tasty bite as it’s fried until crisp on the outside but chewy in the centre. If you’re looking for a different twist on the traditional Mexican taco, this recipe is a great alternative as it features spicy cream cheese slaw to give you a mix of creamy, spicy, and fresh flavours all wrapped up in a floury tortilla.
Seitan is one of the most convincing meat alternatives because it has a very meaty bite and takes on flavours and marinades beautifully. We’ve paired it here with black beans to make a vegan chilli that’s loaded with vegan protein and served it with vegan sour cream and Pico de Gallo for an authentic taco experience.
Some recipes are classics for a reason, and that’s certainly the classic with this simple but delicious spicy black bean filling. It’s so quick to make and tastes delicious served with a generous dollop of guacamole and lettuce to add a fresh element.
If you want to take a break from using mock meats in your meals, this veggie taco recipe is sure to hit the spot. It features black beans and spiced butternut squash to give you a good balance of carbs and protein to make a healthy midweek meal that’s full of flavour.
10. Vegan Fish Taco
Vegan fish? Easy! This recipe uses marinated banana blossom to create Mexican Baja inspired tacos. With a crispy batter, sharp pickled red onions and fresh chillis, this recipe will soon be a weeknight favourite.
Has Seaspiracy made you quit eating fish? Here are our favourite vegan fish recipes.
Peanut butter and cauliflower? Trust us, it works! This vegan taco recipe involves marinating cauliflower florets before baking them in the oven. Next, you will assemble your tacos with fresh crunchy veggies and crushed peanuts followed by a squeeze of lime.
Loved these vegan tacos but fancy making something simpler for dinner?
Try these quick and easy vegan one-pot recipes!