The sun’s out, so that can only mean one thing – it’s BBQ time! And BBQ food doesn’t get much tastier than this tangy BBQ sweet potato with spicy chutney thats an absolute cinch to make!
BBQ Sweet Potato with Spicy Chutney
Serves: 4 | Prep time: 50 mins
- 3 American sweet potatoes
- 1 stalk of celery
- 100g dried apricots
- 4cm fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 125g sugar
- 75ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Plant based alternative to yogurt to serve (optional) OR cashew sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and bake two of the sweet potatoes for about 50 minutes, or until soft to the touch.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthways and grill them briefly on the BBQ to achieve griddle stripes.
- Clean the celery and chop the stalks into thin slices, then cut the apricots into thin strips. Peel and chop the remaining sweet potato into small chunks.
- Bring 150ml of water to the boil in a saucepan and cook the sweet potato chunks with the lid on for 6 minutes, until “al dente”.
- Add the sugar, celery, apricots, ginger, white wine vinegar, mustard seed, curry powder and salt to the pan. Stir the mixture and simmer for a few minutes, until it forms a thick chutney.
- Serve the griddled sweet potatoes with the chutney and a dollop of the plant-based alternative to yogurt, if using.