Pack in the goodness with Rob Hobson’s nutrient-rich vegan meal plan to take you through the week.
Loaded yoghurt bowl 150g (5¼oz) soya yoghurt topped with 4 walnuts (crushed), orange segments and cinnamon. Plus a 150ml (5¼floz) glass of juice or smoothie.
Zesty lentil salad
Arrange 80g (2¾oz) blanched green beans (cooled), ½ a can of lentils, ½ a celery stick (finely diced), ¼ of a red onion (thinly sliced), 50g (1¾oz) roasted red peppers from a jar (sliced), 30g (1oz) rocket and chopped coriander in a bowl. Squeeze over a little lemon juice. Serve with a dressing of 2 tbsp fortified soya yoghurt, chopped chives and lemon zest.
Cauliflower cous cous
Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6. Remove the leaves from ½ a small cauliflower, place the florets in a food processor then blitz to a coarse, crumbly texture.
Transfer the cauliflower to a lined baking tray, season with salt and pepper then roast in the oven for about 15 minutes until golden but still tender.
Allow the cauliflower cous cous to cool then place in a bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil, ½ a lemon (juiced), 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds, 1 handful of spinach (sliced), 1 tbsp pistachio kernels (chopped) and 1 tbsp each of chopped parsley, mint and coriander. Serve with 2 slices of grilled, spiced tofu.
1 small pear (sliced) with 1 tbsp nut butter.
Nut butter porridge
Porridge made with 4 tbsp oats and 275ml (9½floz) fortified plant milk. Top with ½ a banana (sliced), 1 tbsp sultanas and 1 tbsp nut butter. Plus a 150ml (5¼floz) glass of juice or smoothie.
Spelt salad with lemon dressing
Combine 125g (4¼oz) cooked spelt, 25g (¾oz) baby spinach (chopped), 50g (1¾oz) red cabbage (finely shredded), ½ a celery stick (finely sliced) and 80g (2¾oz) mange tout (shredded) in a bowl. Add ½ a lemon (juiced), 1 tsp olive oil and ½ a small garlic clove (crushed) and combine well.
Spanish peppers with rice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 5.
- Slice 1 side of a long red Romano pepper to create a pouch. In a bowl, combine 125g (4¼oz) cooked Spanish-style rice (try Merchant Gourmet) with ½ a red chilli (finely diced) and ¼ of a red onion (finely diced).
- Place rice mixture in the pepper. Now combine 1 tsp olive oil with 1 tsp harissa and drizzle over the pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, top with coconut milk yoghurt, ¼ of an avocado (chopped) and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve with salad.
2 dates stuffed with almond nut butter.
Creamy berry smoothie
Blend ½ an avocado, ½ a banana, 250ml (8¾floz) fortified plant milk, 80g (2¾oz) frozen berries, 2 tbsp oats and a small handful of spinach to make a smoothie.
Roasted chickpea pittas
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 5.
- Place ½ a can of chickpeas and 2 large carrots (scrubbed, trimmed and quartered lengthways) on a baking tray.
- Scatter over ½ a red onion (finely sliced), ½ tsp mixed herbs, 1 tbsp olive oil and salt. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Serve with a dressing of 1 tbsp coconut milk yoghurt, pinch each of za’atar and cumin and the grated zest and juice of ½ a lemon. Serve with 1 wholemeal pitta.
Butternut squash gnocchi
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Place ½ a butternut squash on a baking tray and roast for 45 minutes.
- Once cooked, scoop out the flesh and place in a bowl with 5 tbsp of flour, 1 tbsp olive oil, a pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mash together and form into 4 even sized balls.
- Chill for 30 minutes before rolling each ball into a log shape on a floured surface. Cut each log into thumbsized pieces. Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the ‘gnocchi’, cooking for 2 minutes.
- Now heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and add the gnocchi. Fry until browned then add 100g (3½oz) frozen peas and sage leaves. Fry for another minute before serving.
A handful of sultanas.
Cereal with fruit
50g (1¾oz) high-fibre breakfast cereal with 200ml (7floz) fortified plant milk, 4 dried apricots (chopped) and grated apple. Plus a 150ml (5¼floz) glass of juice or smoothie.
Lentil soup with toasted seeds
1 pot of ready-made soup with lentils or pulses. Stir in 1 small handful of baby spinach leaves and sprinkle over 1 tbsp mixed toasted seeds. Serve with 1 slice of dark rye bread. Plus 1 kiwi fruit.
Sweet potato curry
- Heat 1 tsp sesame oil in a small saucepan. Add ¼ of a red onion (chopped) and cook to soften.
- Add ½ a garlic clove (crushed), a 1cm piece of ginger (grated), ½ a red chilli (chopped), ½ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add ½ a sweet potato (chopped) and 60g (2oz) red lentils and stir then add 200ml (7floz) vegetable stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season then stir through a handful of spinach and coriander.
- Serve with wholemeal pitta bread.
80g (2¾oz) berries.
Guacamole on toast
1 slice of wholegrain toast topped with ½ a mashed avocado combined with ½ a yellow pepper (diced), chopped coriander and a squeeze of lime juice. Plus a 150ml (5¼floz) glass of juice or smoothie.
Bean and vegetable soup
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a pan. Add ½ a red onion (sliced), 1 tbsp grated ginger and 1 garlic clove (crushed) then fry.
- Add 200ml (7floz) vegetable stock, 1 celery stick (chopped) and 1 carrot (diced) and boil for 12 minutes.
- Add ½ a can of aduki beans, ½ a diced courgette, grated lemon zest and fresh coriander and boil for 5 minutes.
- Serve with 1 slice of rye bread.
- Add 1 tsp light olive oil to a wok then stir-fry 75g (2½oz) shiitake mushrooms.
- Add 50g (1¾oz) marinated tofu pieces and a handful of shredded cabbage. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add 150g (5¼oz) cooked noodles, ½ a chilli (sliced), 1 tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp mirin and cook for 1 minute.
- Garnish with spring onions.
80g (2¾oz) blanched Tenderstem broccoli with 1 tbsp tahini.
Tarragon mushrooms on toast
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan then add 100g (3½oz) mushrooms, 1 handful of spinach (sliced) and chopped tarragon. Sauté for 5 minutes then season.
- Serve on 1 slice of wholegrain toast. Plus a 150ml (5¼floz) glass of juice or smoothie.
‘Chicken’ and avocado wraps
- In a bowl, combine 100g (3½oz) frozen vegan Quorn pieces (defrosted) with lime juice, ¼ tsp chilli powder and ½ a garlic clove (crushed).
- Fry the Quorn pieces for a few minutes. While cooking, heat the wraps then spread with½ an avocado.
- Add 1 roasted, jarred red pepper (sliced), Quorn, 2 tsp pumpkin seeds, coriander and 1 tbsp fortified soya yoghurt.
Plus 1 apple for dessert.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 5.
- Cut one small aubergine in half then score the flesh and season with salt and smoked paprika. Place on a baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes.
- Scoop out the flesh and place in a bowl. Add 125g (4½oz) ready-cooked quinoa, 5 cherry tomatoes (halved), 4 dried apricots (chopped), 5 black olives (chopped), 1 tbsp olive oil, ½ a lemon (juiced) and salt.
- Place the mixture back into the skins and top with pumpkin seeds.
50g (1¾oz) guacamole with 1 red pepper.
Scrambled tofu on toast
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil, add ½ a small onion (finely chopped) and cook for 8 minutes.
- Stir in ½ a garlic clove (crushed), ¼ tsp ground turmeric, ½ tsp ground cumin and ¼ tsp smoked paprika.
- Mash 140g (5oz) firm tofu in a bowl then add to the pan and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add 7 cherry tomatoes then cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chopped parsley and serve with 1 slice of dark rye bread.
Lentil and coconut curry
- Heat 1 tbsp light olive oil in a pan.
- Add 1 small garlic clove (crushed), ½ tbsp grated ginger and 1 small spring onion (sliced) and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add 50g (1¾oz) red lentils, 1 small sweet potato (peeled and chopped), 7 cherry tomatoes, 3 cardamom pods, 3 cloves, ½ tsp turmeric and 1 bay leaf. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 100ml (3½floz) vegetable stock to the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add 100ml (3½floz) coconut milk. Season with salt then simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander.
Tofu and pak choi
- Add 1 tbsp grated ginger, 1 garlic clove (sliced), 2 tsp maple syrup, 1½ tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil and chilli flakes to a bowl. Add 150g (5¼oz) firm tofu (cubed) and 2 small pak choi (quartered through the stalk).
- Marinate for 20 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan then cook the tofu until crisp and pak choi until wilted.
- Place the tofu and pak choi on a plate and pour over remaining marinade.
- Serve with brown rice, coriander and lime.
2 tbsp reduced-fat hummus with 1 carrot.