This healthy meal plan by nutritionist Rob Hobson shows you how to cook vegan meals from scratch.
Take the guesswork out of ensuring you’re eating a balance plant-based diet with this healthy vegan meal plan.
Blend ½ a banana, 1 tbsp oats, 1 handful of frozen berries, 1 handful of spinach and 200ml (7floz) fortified oat milk to make a creamy smoothie.
Zingy quinoa salad
- Add to a bowl 125g (4½oz) ready to eat quinoa, ¼ of a cucumber (diced), ½ an avocado (diced), ½ a small yellow pepper (diced), 1 small handful of frozen peas (thawed), 1 small handful of baby spinach leaves, mint and coriander (chopped).
- In a small bowl combine 2 tsp light tahini, 2 tsp sweet miso, 2 tsp lemon juice, 2 tsp sesame oil, 1-2 tbsp hot water, 1 tsp grated ginger and whisk well.
- Dress salad and serve.
- Make a paste by blitzing 2 spring onions, 1 garlic clove, ½ a lemongrass stalk, 1 lime leaf, ½ a red chilli, 1 tsp soy sauce, a 2cm piece of ginger (peeled) and 2 tsp groundnut oil in a food processor.
- Place the paste in a saucepan and heat for 2 minutes.
- Add 200ml (7oz) coconut milk, ½ a 400g (7oz) can of chickpeas, 1 handful of frozen soya beans, ½ a small red pepper (sliced) and 1 small handful of mange tout then cook for 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender (cook less for more crunchy veggies).
- Serve in a bowl with chopped coriander.
1 slice of fruit bread topped with 1 tbsp nut butter (almond, cashew or peanut).
Avocado on rye
1 slice of toasted rye bread (drizzled with 2 tsp olive oil) topped with 1 handful of cherry tomatoes (roasted) and ½ an avocado (mashed).
Combine 100g (3½oz) cooked spelt, 2 tbsp chickpeas, 25g (¾oz) baby spinach (chopped), 50g (1¾oz) red cabbage (finely shredded), ½ a celery stick (finely sliced) and 100g (3½oz) mange tout (shredded) in a bowl. Add ½ a lemon (juiced), 1 tbsp olive oil and ½ a small garlic clove (crushed).
Spiced squash with black rice
Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas Mark 4. Place ½ a medium butternut squash (peeled and sliced) on a baking tray with ½ a pack of ready cooked black rice and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle over ½ tsp sumac, ½ a lemon (zested) and salt and bake for 30 minutes. While cooking, place ½ a small red onion (finely sliced) in a bowl with ½ a lemon (juiced), ½ tbsp olive oil, ½ tbsp za’atar and salt then leave to soak. Scatter onions and dressing over the cooked rice and squash.
1 small handful of almonds.
Peanut butter & banana on toast
2 slices of toasted rye bread topped with 2 tbsp almond butter and 1 banana (sliced).
Crispbreads with beetroot hummus
- Combine 50g (1¾oz) frozen soya beans (defrosted) with 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds, 1 tsp sesame seeds, squeeze of lime juice and 1 tsp sesame oil.
- Serve with two dark rye crispbreads spread with beetroot hummus.
Lentil and sweet potato curry
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan then add ½ a garlic clove (crushed), ½ tbsp ginger (grated) and 1 spring onion (chopped) and cook for 3 minutes.
- Now add 50g (1¾oz) red lentils, ½ a sweet potato (peeled and cubed), 50g (1¾oz) cherry tomatoes, 3 cardamom pods, 2 cloves, ½ tsp turmeric and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add 100ml (vegetable stock and simmer for 15 minutes).
- Add 100ml (3½floz) coconut milk, season with salt and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove cardamom and cloves before serving with 1 wholemeal pitta bread.
2 tbsp guacamole with 1 red pepper (sliced).
Yoghurt and fruit
150g (5¼oz) coconut milk yoghurt topped with 4 strawberries (sliced) and ½ a banana (sliced).
- Place two courgettes (julienned) in a bowl. On a large chopping board, place a handful each of cashew nuts, mint, basil, mixed seeds (toasted) and frozen peas (defrosted) then chop coarsely.
- Place the pea mixture on top of the courgette then drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Tofu stir fry
- Combine 1½ tbsp mirin, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp orange juice and ¼ of a red chilli (chopped) to make a dressing.
- Prepare 1 stick of soba noodles and rinse under cold water when cooked.
- Place the noodles in a large bowl with 100g (3½oz) soya beans, ½ a cucumber (peeled, seeded and sliced), a handful of beansprouts, 2 spring onions (sliced), coriander (chopped) and ½ tsp sesame oil.
- Dress the salad and set to one side.
- Prepare 125g (4¼oz) tofu (pat dry with kitchen towel first) by cutting into ‘steaks’ lengthways. Sprinkle with cornflour, season with salt then fry in a hot pan with 2 tsp of oil.
- Serve tofu with salad.
1 dark rye cracker bread topped with nut butter and sliced banana.
Cereal with dates
50g (1¾oz) high-fibre breakfast cereal with 200ml (7floz) fortified plant milk (soya or nut). Top with 3 pitted dates (chopped).
Sweet potato toast
- Peel a large sweet potato then cut into ½cm slices. Take 3 slices and bag the remaining potato to keep in the fridge for another day.
- Toast the potato slices in a toaster for 5-10 minutes until tender. While toasting, place the flesh of ½ a lime (juiced) and salt to a bowl then mash.
- Spread the sweet potato toasts with avocado then top with pomegranate seeds, crushed hazelnuts and sunflower seeds. Serve with salad.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add ½ an aubergine cut into small chunks and fry for 8 minutes, until tender, then remove from the pan.
- Now add 100g (3½oz) of butter beans (canned) to the pan and cook for 3 minutes, then remove from the pan.
- Now add ¼ of an onion (chopped) to the pan and cook until soft. Add ¼ tsp mustard seeds and 1½ tsp curry powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 75ml (2½floz) vegetable stock and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in 50g (1¾oz) low fat soya yoghurt and 2 tsp mango chutney.
- Now add the aubergine and butter beans, combining gently and warming through. Garnish with coriander and serve with wholemeal pitta bread.
1 large rice cake topped with 1 banana (mashed) and 1 tsp raw cacao.
Toasted coconut oats
- Preheat oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6. Place 75g (2½oz) oats in a bowl with 1 tsp olive oil and 25ml (¾floz) fortified soya milk then mix well.
- Spread the oats out on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 12 minutes. When cooled, place in a bowl with 1 tbsp flaked coconut and 1 tbsp goji berries.
- Pour over a ready-made juice with beetroot. Add a dollop of fortified coconut soya yoghurt.
Basil and tomato pasta
Place a small handful of blanched almonds in a pestle and mortar with 1 small handful of fresh basil, ¼ of a garlic clove, ¼ of a lemon (juiced), 1 tbsp olive oil and salt then crush into a rough paste. Stir the pesto through the wholemeal pasta and add some chopped cherry tomatoes.
Mexican roasted veg
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6. Place 1 small carrot (sliced), ½ a red pepper (sliced) and ½ a yellow pepper (sliced) on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes.
- Now blitz together 2 tbsp olive oil and ½ a red onion in a food processor then fry in a saucepan.
- Add 1 tsp of cumin seeds and 1 tsp smoked paprika to the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 75ml (2½floz) water to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Add 200g (7oz) black beans (canned) and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Serve the beans topped with roasted vegetables and chopped coriander.
1 sliced apple served with 1 tbsp nut butter.
Banana and nut yoghurt bowl
150g (5¼oz) soya or coconut yoghurt topped with 1 banana (sliced), 1 tbsp almond butter and 1 small handful of crushed almonds.
Vegetable soup with toasted rye
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan then add 1 large carrot (chopped), ½ an onion (chopped), ½ a stick of celery (chopped), ½ a garlic clove (chopped). Fry for 10 minutes then pour in 250ml (8¾floz) vegetable stock and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper then blitz until smooth.
Combine 1 tbsp soya yoghurt with ½ tbsp tahini and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve soup with yoghurt and toasted rye bread.
Sweet and spicy tofu
- In a large bowl, combine a 1in piece of ginger (grated), 1 garlic clove (sliced), ½ tbsp maple syrup, a pinch of chilli flakes, 150g (5¼oz) firm tofu (sliced) and two small pak choi (quartered). Marinate for 25 minutes.
- Cook the tofu and pak choi in a hot griddle pan, then pour over the dressing and a squeeze of lime. Serve with brown rice.
100g (3¼oz) blanched Tenderstem broccoli with 1 tbsp tahini.