Tesco is rolling out a brand new affordable plant-based range and adding dedicated plant-based zones in stores across the country today.
Earlier this year, Tesco’s chief executive Dave Lewis revealed that the UK’s largest supermarket, Tesco, was gearing up to launch hundreds of brand new vegan ready meals to stores in a bid to boost profits, and it’s just revealed its new range as part of its affordable core range – Plant Chef.
Rolling out in over 450 large stores today as part of a staggered launch, Plant Chef aims to make it easier for consumers to find plant-based alternatives to their favourite dishes and will increase the supermarkets plant-based offerings by 48% to 267 products by mid-November.
The first products coming to stores on September 23rd are soya-based Battered Fish-Free Fillets (£3/pack) and Breaded Goujons (£2/pack), which the supermarket hopes will offer customers looking to cut down on their meat consumption “easy to prepare plant-based swaps.”
The Breaded Goujons are made from seasoned soya tumbled in crunchy breadcrumbs whilst the Battered Fish-Free Fillets are made from seasoned soya and coated in a crispy, tempura batter.
Joining the range of October 14th will be two new products – a hearty Butternut Cauli Mac and a tempting Mushroom Pizza, both of which will be priced at £2.50.
The Butternut Cauli Mac features macaroni pasta coated in a sauce with cauliflower florets and diced butternut squash whilst the Mushroom pizza will be topped with punchy garlic, spinach and aromatic herbs.
Here’s a little taste of what you can expect to see joining the Plant Chef range in the coming months:
- Tesco Plant Chef 12 Meat-Free balls 336g, RRP £2.00
- Tesco Plant Chef Battered Fish-Free Fillets 200g, RRP £3.00
- Tesco Plant Chef Southern Fried Fillets 200g, RRP £2.50
- Tesco Plant Chef Breaded Goujons 200g, RRP £2.00
- Tesco Plant Chef Bangers & Mash 425g, RRP £2.50
- Tesco Plant Chef Triple Layer Vegan Lasagne 450g, RRP £2.50
- Tesco Plant Chef Butternut Cauli Mac 450g, RRP £2.50
- Tesco Plant Chef Mashed Potato 400g, RRP £1.35
- Tesco Plant Chef Margherita Pizza 239g, RRP £2.50
- Tesco Plant Chef Mushroom Cottage Pie 450g, RRP £2.50
- Tesco Plant Chef Roast Cauli Masala 375g, RRP £2.50
- Tesco Plant Chef Triple Bean Chilli 400g, RRP £2.50
- Tesco Plant Chef Mushroom Spag Bol 450g, RRP £2.50
- Tesco Plant Chef BBQ Jackbake 450g, RRP £2.50
- Tesco Plant Chef Spicy Edamame Noodles 380g, RRP £2.50
- Tesco Plant Chef Mushroom Pizza 255g, £2.50
- Tesco Plant Chef Spicy Veg & Rice 375g, RRP £2.50
- Tesco Plant Chef Teriyaki Noodles 375g, RRP £2.50
- Tesco Plant Chef Thai Green Curry 375g, RRP £2.50
- Tesco Plant Chef Mushroom Stroganoff 400g, RRP £2.50
- Tesco Plant Chef Coleslaw 250g, RRP £0.79
Tesco will also be expanding its range of grocery foods and cooking kits to help people make plant-based dishes at home.
These include a wide range of popular sauces, stir-fry kits, snacking pots and ton-trend ingredients such as king oyster mushrooms and cluster mushrooms, influenced no doubt by Tesco’s Director of Plant-Based Innovation, Derek Sarno’s, love of using mushrooms as a meat alternative.
In order to attract veg-curious customers, Tesco will be stocking the products alongside meat as “an immediate alternative” to animal meats.
From Sept 23 some of the plant-based foods will sit in the meat aisle offering flexitarians an immediate alternative where after they will then be expanded out into other parts of the store at 900 Tesco stores in the prepared fresh food aisle.
For the first time, Tesco is introducing dedicated plant-based and vegetarian zones in stores to make it easier for people looking for plant-based products to find them all in one place.
Eat more plants
Speaking about the new range in a statement sent to Vegan Food & Living, Tesco’s Director of Plant-Based Innovation, Derek Sarno, said:
“The biggest impact we can make as individuals, for our health but also that of the planet, is to eat more plants.
“At Tesco we’re making that easier than ever by providing the widest and best range of plant-based options available on the UK high street.
“We’ve turbo charged our innovative original Wicked Kitchen snacks and meals. For those looking for everyday delicious meal swaps, we’re launching the exciting Tesco Plant Chef range.
“To make these foods easier to find we will be launching dedicated plant-based and vegetarian zones in stores.”