Vegans, listen up. PETA has just officially declared the best places to head for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Did any of your favourites make the list?
Every year for the last four years, PETA has rounded up the best vegan food available from supermarkets and restaurants, in an effort to help vegans and vegetarians find the tasty food they deserve.
This year’s awards features 24 categories of vegan goodness, including best vegan mayonnaise and best vegan luxury food.
PETA’s Dawn Carr says: ‘From the corner shop to luxury restaurants, businesses are jumping to feed the public’s hunger for healthy, humane plant-based food. Since winners include all-vegan bacon, eggs, aged cheddar, and even caviar, PETA’s Vegan Food Awards show that ethical fare is more diverse and exciting than ever – all without harming a single animal.’
So, on to the delicious vegan stuff.
Best vegan sandwich – Pret a Manger’s Chana Chaat Flat Bread
Is this technically a sandwich? Maybe not. But it’s very tasty.
The Flat Bread was launched back in April, and is filled with chickpeas, peppers, spinach, mango chutney, and a coconut yoghurt.
Best vegan meat – Sgaia Foods Streaky Rashers
When people shout ‘But what about bacon?!’ at you when they find out you’re vegan, point them in the direction of Sgaia!
Best dairy-free milk – Koko Dairy-Free Milk + Calcium
Sorry, almond milk. Coconut milk is back on top.
Best vegan burger – Linda McCartney Vegetarian 1/4lb Burgers
These substantial, juicy (and honestly, freakishly realistic!) burgers are a Friday night staple, all you need now is a nice pair of baps to sandwich them between!
Best vegan curry – JD Wetherspoons Sweet Potato, Chickpea, and Spinach Curry
Wetherspoons might be the last place you’d expect to find vegan food, but here they are, winning awards for their vegan fare!
Best vegan pizza – Zizzi Vegan Rustica Margherita
Just so you know, Zizzi offers the option of getting vegan cheese on all its pizza. Nice.
Best vegan ready meal – Amy’s Vegetable Lasagna
It’s also gluten-free for any coeliacs or gluten-intolerant folk out there. Hurrah!
Best vegan cake – Le Pain Quotidien Cocoa & Pear Cake
Get this in my mouth NOW!
Other vegan winners
- Best egg-free mayonnaise: Follow Your Heart Vegenaise
- Best vegan cheese: Nutcrafter Creamery Extra Aged Gomasio Cheddar Style Cheese
- Best vegan fish: The Railway Hotel ‘Fish’ & Chips
- Best vegan sausage: Tofurky Italian Sausage
- Best vegan chicken: Fry’s Chicken Style Burgers
- Best vegan pie: Clive’s Mexican Chilli Pie
- Best vegan dessert: Tesco Chocolate and Hazelnut Filled Mini Churros
- Best vegan ice cream: Swedish glace strawberry sticks made with soy
- Best vegan sweets: Booja-Booja Almond & Sea Salt Caramel Chocolate Truffles
- Best vegan yoghurt: Alpro Pineapple-Passion Fruit & Peach Soya Yoghurt
- Best vegan salad: LEON Vegan SuperClean Quinoa Salad
- Best vegan street food: Club Mexicana
- Best vegan luxury food: Vegetarian Caviar Club Black Caviar
- Best innovative vegan product: Follow Your Heart VeganEgg
- Best vegan menu: Gauthier Soho ‘Les Plantes’ menu
- Best vegan cookbook: Vegan Street Food: Foodie Travels from India to Indonesia
This story first appeared on The Metro.