Protein is essential for the growth and repair of tissues – Rob Hobson shows us how.
Getting enough protein on a vegan diet is easy. Simply follow this high-protein vegan meal plan and we guarantee you’ll feel full and satisfied.
Cereal with chopped dates
50g (1¾oz) high-fibre breakfast cereal with 200ml (6¾fl oz) fortified plant milk (soya or nut), topped with two dates (chopped).
Thai green wrap
- Lay one vegan flour tortilla flat and spread with 2 tbsp hummus and 1 tsp vegan Thai green curry paste.
- Add ½ a red pepper (finely sliced), ½ a carrot (grated), 1 handful of baby spinach leaves, ¼ of a can of green lentils (drained), coriander leaves and ½ a small avocado (sliced).
- Squeeze the juice from ½ a lime over the filling and season with salt. Fold the wrap and serve with salad. Plus one pear.
Chilli tofu stir fry
- Drain 250g (9oz) firm tofu and then steam for 20 minutes. Drain off the excess water and transfer to a plate.
- Finely slice ½ a red chilli and 1 spring onion. Now heat 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce and 1 tsp sesame oil in a small saucepan until hot and then pour over the tofu.
- Scatter with red chilli and spring onion. Serve with 180g (6oz) cooked brown rice and wilted greens such as bok choi or spinach.
A handful of raw nuts.
Place 90g (3oz) rolled oats, 300ml (10fl oz)fortified almond milk, 1 tbsp hemp seeds, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tsp spirulina powder and ½ tsp cinnamon in a pan. Bring to the boil then simmer. Top with fresh fruit.
Beetroot hummus crispbreads
Combine 50g (1¾oz) frozen soya beans (defrosted) with 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds, 1 tsp sesame seeds, a squeeze of lime juice and 1 tsp sesame oil. Serve with two dark rye crispbreads spread with 1 tbsp each of beetroot hummus. Plus one coconut yoghurt.
Spiced cauliflower with pearl barley
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6. Cut a medium cauliflower in half and place on a baking sheet flat side down.
- Mix 2 tsp olive oil, one pinch each of ground cinnamon and paprika, and 2 tsp of maple syrup in a bowl then rub over the cauliflower.
- Cut 2 garlic cloves in half and stick in the cauliflower then roast for 25 minutes until tender.
- Serve the cauliflower sliced with a salad of 100g (3½oz) cooked pearl barley, a handful each of fresh mint and parsley (chopped), ¼ of a red onion (chopped), lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt.
50g (1¾oz) soya beans with 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds, 1 tsp sesame seeds and lime juice.
Fruit and nut yoghurt
150g (5oz) soya yoghurt topped with chopped dried mango and 4 Brazil nuts, lightly crushed.
Broccoli and spinach soup with beans
Make or buy 1 pot of fresh green soup. Place a handful of any canned beans or pulses you like into the bottom of the bowl and pour over the hot soup. Serve with two dark rye crispbreads or a slice of sprouted wholegrain bread.
Roasted squash salad
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6. Prepare ½ a small butternut squash and cut it into small chunks.
- Place them on a large baking tray along with ½ a can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed) and ½ a red pepper (sliced).
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 garlic clove (chopped), salt, pepper and 2 tsp sweet paprika.
- Combine well and then roast in the oven for 25 minutes until the veggies are tender. Whilst cooking, remove the corn from ½ a fresh cob. After 25 minutes add the sweetcorn and ½ a chilli (chopped) to the tray and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and place everything in a large bowl then stir in a handful of spinach. Serve on a plate and top with ½ a small avocado (sliced), 1 spring onion (finely sliced), lemon juice and 1 tsp olive oil.
2 small rice cakes topped with nut butter.
Banana and berry smoothie
Blend ½ an avocado, ½ a banana, 250ml (8½fl oz) fortified almond milk, 80g (2¾oz) berries, 2 tbsp oats and a handful of spinach.
Quinoa salad with tahini dressing
- Mix 125g (4½oz) ready-to-eat quinoa, ¼ of a cucumber (diced), ½ an avocado (diced), ½ a yellow pepper (diced), 1 small handful of frozen peas (thawed), 1 small handful of baby spinach leaves, mint and coriander (chopped).
- In a bowl, combine 2 tsp light tahini, 2 tsp sweet miso, 2 tsp lemon juice, 2 tsp sesame oil, 2 tbsp hot water, 1 tsp grated ginger and whisk. Dress the salad and serve.
- Fry ½ an onion (chopped) in 2 tsp of olive oil. Add 100g (3½oz) vegan soya mince to the pan with 1 tsp cumin, ¼ tsp cinnamon and ½ tsp turmeric then stir.
- Next, add 25g (¾oz) dried apricots (quartered), ½ a red pepper (finely sliced) and 150ml (5fl oz) vegetable stock. Bring to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve with 180g (6oz) cooked wholegrain couscous, chopped coriander and mint.
3 dates stuffed with almond butter.
Mushrooms on toast
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan then add 100g (3½oz) mixed mushrooms and chopped tarragon.
- Sauté for 5 minutes, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve on 1 slice of wholegrain toast.
Spelt and avocado salad
- Combine 100g (3½oz) cooked spelt, 2 tbsp chickpeas, 25g (1oz) baby spinach (chopped), 50g (2oz) red cabbage (finely shredded), ½ a celery stick (finely sliced) and 80g (2¾oz) mange tout (shredded).
- Add the juice of ½ a lemon, 1 tbsp olive oil and ½ a small garlic clove (crushed) and combine well.
- Top with ½ an avocado.
Broccoli and tofu stir fry
- Heat 1 tsp of light olive oil in a wok set on high. Add 2 spring onions (thinly sliced), 80g (2¾oz) broccoli (sliced), 80g (2¾oz) pak choi (sliced) and 80g (2¾oz) carrot (thinly sliced).
- Fry for 6 minutes, adding a splash of water as you cook.
- Add 80g (2¾oz) of marinated tofu to the wok and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Take off the heat and add 1 tbsp light soy sauce and the juice of a ½ lime. Serve with 180g (6¼oz) cooked brown rice.
150g (5¼oz) soya yoghurt topped with 1 tbsp seeds.
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a frying pan and add ½ a small onion (finely chopped). Cook for 8 minutes to soften completely.
- Stir in ½ a garlic clove (crushed), ¼ tsp ground turmeric, ½ tsp ground cumin and ¼ tsp smoked paprika and cook for 1 minute.
- Mash 140g (5oz) extra firm tofu in a bowl using a fork then add to the pan and fry for 3 minutes.
- Set the heat high and add 50g (1¾oz) cherry tomatoes then cook for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in chopped parsley, season and serve on top of 1 slice of dark rye bread.
Butternut squash soup
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
- Place the flesh of half a butternut squash on a baking tray with ½ a red onion (sliced) and roast until tender.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven. Now bring 300ml (10fl oz) vegetable stock to the boil then turn down the heat and add 100ml (3¼fl oz) coconut milk.
- Add the squash to the pan along with ½ tsp dried chillies.
- Blitz with a stick blender until smooth.
- Serve with 1 small slice of dark rye bread.
- Place ½ a carrot (grated), ½ a garlic bulb (chopped), ½ a green pepper (finely diced), 175g (6oz) passata, ½ a tin of black beans, ¼ of a tin of red kidney beans, ½ a green pepper (chopped), 1 tsp chilli powder, ¼ tsp smoked paprika in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with 180g (6oz) cooked quinoa and ¼ of an avocado (sliced).
2 tbsp hummus with sliced carrot batons.
Guacamole on toast
Combine ½ an avocado (chopped), 1 tsp pumpkin seeds, chopped coriander, ¼ of a yellow pepper (finely diced) and ½ a spring onion (finely sliced) with a squeeze of lemon juice and 2 tsp olive oil. Serve on 1 slice of sprouted wholegrain bread.
- Place 1 small handful of basil, 1 tbsp tarragon, ½ tbsp cashew nuts, ½ tbsp pumpkin seeds, 1 tbsp light olive oil, salt and black pepper in a mortar and pestle or food processor and blitz into a pesto paste.
- Peel 2 courgettes using a julienne peeler. Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a large non-stick pan.
- Add the courgette noodles and 125g (4½oz) ready to eat puy lentils. Fry for 2 minutes then add the pesto and fry for another 1 minute before serving.
Crispy tofu salad
- Combine 1½ tbsp mirin, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp orange juice and ¼ red chilli (chopped) to make a dressing.
- Prepare 1 ‘stick’ of soba noodles and rinse under cold water when cooked.
- Place the noodles in a large bowl with 100g (3½oz) soya beans, ½ a cucumber (peeled, seeded and sliced), a handful of beansprouts, 2 spring onions (sliced), coriander (chopped) and ½ tsp sesame oil.
- Dress the salad and set to one side.
- Prepare 125g (4½oz) tofu (pat dry with a kitchen towel first) by cutting into ‘steaks’ lengthways. Sprinkle with cornflour. season with salt then fry in a hot pan with 2 tsp of oil.
- Serve tofu with salad.
1 small apple (sliced) with 1 tbsp nut butter.
Find delicious vegan recipes here!